Thursday, January 05, 2006

Corto means Short

Ahh Venice, how many stories have been written about your windy little "streets". Well actually, I know how many cuz they are the only books available in English in every bookstore. I'd say about a 100.

I arrive in Venice from the boat at dawn, a beautifull sunrise over such an unusual city. Truly, it is rare I am so completely pleased at the differentness of a new city as here. Also, rarely have I walked into so many dead end streets. Anyone who's been to Venice will know what I am talking about.

In this winding village I decidedly completed more missions than any previous stretch of time so short. Mail was sent, banking done, phone calls made, new stuff bought, hair cut - speaking of which when you say Corto, it means you don't get to have any hair left when its all over. I now have the shortest hair I have had since I was in the crib.

By day three I began to have a good grasp of getting around, with only one short walk remaining from the hostel to the train station. Unfortunately, the city decided to reorganize itselfand nearly 2.5 hours later, including a rest stop with an Italian girl (my new found guide) I finally stumbled up to the train station and hopped on for Milan.

I love the food in Italy, actually, its what I always love to eat. Only now I can do it with an excuse.

1 comment:

bdvankeuren said...

Remember that haircut we got in Sagada, Philippines?! That guy - at least I think it was a guy ;) - worked on each of us for like 45 minutes and in the end they both looked like buzz cuts!!!

I loved Venice and also spent many moments circling around myself in a dead-end.